Top 5 reasons to include Calcium while on weight loss!!!
Research indicates loading up ourselves with the necessary amount of dietary Calcium everyday can aid in weight loss and stay lean. We are aware that we need calcium for our bone health. However, if you do not provide enough calcium, the body will derive the same from the bones thereby resulting in weak bones. About 1000 – 1200 mg of calcium per day from real food sources is recommended for a healthy weight loss apart from strong bones.
How does Calcium help in weight loss?
1. Calcium stored in fat cells burn fat more effectively aiding in fat loss. Research specifically mentions its the dietary calcium that helps and NOT the supplements.
2. Inclusion of Calcium everyday is believed to reduce the cravings for carbohydrates by reducing the brain signal called NPY ( Neuro Peptide Y) which is the trigger of sweet and starch cravings.
3. Studies indicate that increasing Calcium intake results in a better metabolism resulting in efficient calorie burning and weight loss.
4. Calcium is one of the essential minerals that help in enzyme production and hormonal secretions. Considering weight loss is aided by hormonal balance and vice versa, intake of calcium in considered important.
5. Calcium helps in muscle contractions and aid in proper dilation and contraction of blood vessel. This also helps to look leaner with toned muscles.
Considering the above scientific reasons to include Calcium everyday, there are a few other points that needs to be considered while adding calcium for weight loss.
1. Too much is too bad. Care should be taken to not overeat Calcium. Ingesting more than 1800-2000 mg of Calcium per day can results in prostrate cancer or kidney stones.
2. Including Calcium only through Dairy can result in high calories and one may not see effective weight loss. Its good to use a variety of calcium sources to ensure and maintain calorie balance.
3. For Calcium to deliver its best, Vitamin D is essential. Ensure to include vitamin D rich foods and also expose oneself to sunlight as often as possible.
Calcium rich foods include – low fat milk and curd, unsalted cheese, paneer, green leafy vegetables, other vegetables such as broccoli, mushrooms,beans, fruits specially oranges, figs and dry fruits, nuts and seeds, oats, ragi, etc.
Enrich your life with Calcium and lose weight the healthy way!!!